Since 1930, Pan American airlines provided uniform wings for its staff based on their rank and responsibilities such as Airways Radio Operator, Flight Crew, Traffic and Service Department, Flight Engineer, Pilot, Flight Mechanic, etc. Crew members could wear the pin to signal their role. The pins were not limited to PanAm staff but also customers. PanAm changed its logo design in 1944, and the design of all wings were modified. The new design conveys the connection between America and Europe through Atlantic Ocean offered by Pan American Airline.